Why Should You Use Handguards?
You need dirt bike handguards to protect your hands whether you are tearing down the motocross track or blasting down the trails. Whether you might be an MX Dirt bike driver or an Enduro Dirt bike rider you need to have a proper handguard.
A handguard protects your hands and fingers from debris and roost during motocross racing, while they provide a great deal of protection for off-road riders and enduro riders.
How does a handguard differ from another?
Handguards can be found in two varieties traditional shield-style handguards and wrap-around handguards, which both have plastic hand shields, but also have aluminum bars that wrap around your hand.
The different types of Handguard are as follows:
Open Motocross Handguards
The term roost is well known to anyone who races motocross. You won’t be able to protect your levers with Motocross Handguards, as they are designed to deflect roost.
Only one point of attachment is made to the handlebars. You’re probably going to break them if you drop the bike.
You can even use them for trail riding on cold days to keep your hands warm since they are lighter and sleeker than wrap-around handguards.
Trail Riding/Enduro Riding Wrap Around Handguards
When you crash, wrap around handguards prevent your levers from being damaged. Two places on your handlebars are fixed with the full wrap around brace behind the plastic shield, at the end of the handles, and closer to the clamps.
A clutch lever is usually the last thing you want to ride home without when riding enduro and trail. The Company Barkbusters is synonymous with these handguards, but there are now many competitors including Acerbis, Cycra, and Tusk, which all developed the concept for dirt bikes back in 1984.
How can you install dirt bike handguards?
It is relatively simple to install dirt bike handguards, and while some have different mounting methods, they generally require the same steps and process.
- It is first important to loosen your controls, including brake levers and clutch levers, kill switches, electric starters, and so on. In order to accommodate your handguards and the mount K, you will probably need to move them around.
- Now that the handguards have been loosened, you can dummy them up and make any necessary changes. You can mount some handguards under or over the bars, so consider what works best for your bike.
You will need to cut out the end of your grips if you have wrap around handguards so the aluminum bar can be mounted to the bar end mount.
- You need to ensure everything is tensioned properly and fixed make sure your levers are at the right level, and make sure your handguards are not too far up, or too far down, and do not interfere with your levers.
What are some of the things to consider before getting a Dirt Bike Hand Guard?
The Type Of Dirt Bike You Ride
MX-type handguards can be used whether you ride motocross or enduro or trail. A trail biker might use trail riding handguards, a motocross rider might use enduro-type handguards. If you are riding a dirt bike, it depends on how much protection you want.
The Diameter of the Handlebars of your dirt bike
A standard handlebar diameter is 7/8″ (22mm). Choosing aftermarket tapered bars and oversize (fat) bars with a diameter of 1 1/8″ (28mm) requires caution. Making sure your bars are the right size is crucial.
The Color of your choice
Colors can be chosen to coordinate with the color scheme of your bike from all the items that are available in the market.
Best Motorcross Handguards you can buy
Cycra Stealth DX Handguards
The Cycra Stealth DX Handguards are one of the best Motorcross handguards in the market. They come with many features such as
- Offroad > CONTROL > Hand Deflectors
- Primary Color= Black
- Cycra 0025-12X STEALTH DX HGUARD BLK
- In the lightweight MX style, adjustments are flexible and lever space is ample
- Comes with Aluminum 6061T-6 aircraft grade brackets
- The handlebar taper from 7/8″ to 7/8″ at the ends, so it can be used with 7/8″ handlebars or oversize bars.
- Provides complete independence from your lever perches for mounting anywhere on the bars.
Merits of the Cycra Stealth DX Handguards
- The handguard is easy to install
- It is extremely lightweight
- Comes in many colour options
- Has full-size bike, a mini bike, or a quad will fit almost anywhere
Demerits of the Cycra Stealth DX Handguards
- Comes with only Roost Protection
PowerMadd Star Series Handguards
These are vented handguards from PowerMadd in the Star Series. The features of these Handguards are as follows:
- Ultimate protection
- Removable vent cover for airflow
- Handguard only - mounting kit sold separately
- Snap-in extensions and add-on mirrors available for purchase separately
- Airflow is allowed through removable vent covers, and branches and debris remain blocked
- Comes with plenty of space for the brake and clutch leavers
- Gives 1 year of total warranty and no questions will be asked while claiming
- For riding in cooler weather, snap back the vent covers
Merits of the PowerMadd Star Series Handguards
- Comes with removable vent covers
- Has many uses
- Comes in many colours
Demerits of the PowerMadd Star Series Handguards
- If you need the molding kit you have to buy it separately
Best Enduro Handguards you can buy
Cycra Probend 7/8″ handlebar CRM Handguards
The Cyrca Probend has been a rider’s favorite for a few years and is still one of the best Enduro Handguards that one can buy. This Dirtbike Handguard comes with many features such as:
- Revolutionary patent pending design
- Trademark Probend shape
- Replaceable integrated plastic abrasion guard
- Center Reach Mounts provide maximum bite to secure handguards and allows...
- Made in the USA
- They have a unique shape that is the company’s signature design
- The Mounts provided by Center Reach Mounts (CRM) provide maximum reach and clearance for a variety of bars
- Suitable for 7/8-inch and 1-1/2-inch handlebars
Merits of the Cycra Probend 7/8″ handlebar CRM Handguards
- The plastic guards of the dirt bike handguards are replaceable
- The product is also available in many colours
- The design of the handguard helps in keeping the hands from sticking to the bar
Demerits of the Cycra Probend 7/8″ handlebar CRM Handguards
- The Price of the CRM Handguards is on the costlier side.
Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong
X-Strong handguards from Acerbis are very popular and can be mounted on bar diameters of 7/8″ or 1-1/8″. The Handguards come with many unique features such as :
- Includes X-Strong universal mounting hardware
- Rally Pro Handguards with X-Strong Universal Mount Kit - Black
- Photos are for reference only, please read title and product description...
- RALLY PRO X-STRONG BLK
- A hard-anodized aluminum support spine is injected and molded around nylon composite handguards
- With an indexed steel bar-end insert, this guard will not rotate in a crash.
- You can choose from four colors: black, blue, white, or red.
- Universal mounting kit for handlebars with 7/8″ and 1-1/8″ diameters
Merits of the Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards
- The Handguard has a durable backbone
- It is priced very reasonably
- It is very easy to install
Demerits of the Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards
- The plastic guards in the Handguards cannot be replaced if required.